Watermelon, honeydew melon, and cantaloupe are the three most common and loved melons in the United States. And they are all melons which are mostly consumed throughout the summer months.
From April until August it’s melon season in the United States. And consuming melons during these months is about more than just the fact that this is when these fruits are in season. They are light and contain large amounts of water, making them super refreshing.
Here are ten wonderful ways to enjoy melons in the summer.
1. Just eat watermelon. A nice hunk of juicy watery watermelon will help beat the heat. If you feel that’s a little too bland for your taste, then just cube up some melon and toss it with a little feta cheese and some vinegar and olive oil sprinkled with some basil. You’ll have a simple, refreshing, grown-up treat that’s sure to help you beat the heat this summer.
2. Make a delicious summer soup with pureed honeydew melon and cantaloupe. Chill it and add a fresh mint leaf for an extra refreshing treat.
3. Make a refreshing drink out of the melons. Whether it’s a watermelon martini or just a sparkling water drink garnished with your favorite melon, it’s sure to help you beat the heat this summer.
4. Make a watermelon smoothie or a melon parfait for a treat in the heat.
5. A fruit salad with all of your favorite melons in it will cool you down and be light and refreshing enough to help keep you feeling cool and breezy.
6. Ball up your favorite melon and add it to the water you’re going to freeze for ice. It will make your ice water have a nice, sweet taste while cooling you off and providing a great refreshment.
7. If you don’t want melon in your ice cubes then make a nice, frosty granita. Just puree your melon; mix it with some ginger ale, lemon juice, and lime juice; then freeze it. Give it a stir every half hour or so and you have a wonderful cooling slushy-like dessert.
8. Melons are even great as a salsa for a nice light dinner dish. It’s refreshing and tasty with a nice grilled piece of chicken.
9. Try all the different types of melons. If you can get your hands on something other than cantaloupe, watermelon, or honeydew, then you should try them for a different treat to beat the summer heat. Melons like Casaba melon, for a sweet and spicy flavor the Crenshaw melon, the Persian melon, and the sweet honey-like taste of the yellow flesh watermelon.
10. Enjoy melon with friends — preferably by the pool or some other body of water. Nothing says fun and summer like watermelon at the beach with the people you love the most. So get out there, have a good time, and beat the heat with your melon in hand and your toes in the water.
Melons are the perfect summer beat-the-heat food because of the large amounts of water they contain. Water helps thin the blood which means your body doesn’t have to work as hard to make the blood flow through your veins. So even if you’re not a big fan of drinking water, just eating these watery melons will do so much to help you stay ultra cool. Just grab your favorite melon today and beat the heat this summer!